The Hollick Arvon Caribbean Writers Prize is an annual award which allows an emerging Caribbean writer living and working in the Anglophone Caribbean to devote time to advancing or finishing a literary work, with support from an established writer as mentor. It is sponsored by the Hollick Family Charitable Trust and the literary charitable trust Arvon, in association with the non-profit organisation the Bocas Lit Fest.
The 2014 Hollick Arvon Caribbean Writers Prize is for the genre of literary non-fiction. Download the prize guidelines and entry form here. Submissions deadline is September 30, 2013.
The Hollick Arvon Prize, with a total value of £10,000 (approx. US$15,000), consists of:
1. a cash award of £3,000 (approx. US$4,500)
2. a year’s mentoring by an established writer
3. travel to the United Kingdom to attend a one-week intensive Arvon creative writing course at one of Arvon’s internationally renowned writing houses
4. three days in London to network with editors and publishers, hosted by Arvon, in association with the Free Word Centre and the Rogers, Coleridge & White literary agency.
The winner of the 2014 Hollick Arvon Prize will be announced at the 2014 NGC Bocas Lit Fest in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
To be eligible for entry, a writer must:
1. be of Caribbean birth or citizenship, living and working in the Anglophone Caribbean and writing in English
2. be over the age of 18 by 30 September, 2013
3. have had at least one piece of literary non-fiction of no less than 2,000 words published.
Download the Prize guidelines and entry form here.
The Hollick Arvon Prize will be judged by a panel comprising representatives of the Hollick Family Charitable Trust and Arvon, an agent from the Rogers, Coleridge & White literary agency, and two representatives of the NGC Bocas Lit Fest. The Prize will be administered by Arvon and the Bocas Lit Fest, in conjunction with the Hollick Family Charitable Trust.
For any queries about eligibility requirements or the submission process, please contact the prize administrators at [email protected]
Barbara Jenkins of Trinidad and Tobago was the winner of the inaugural Hollick Arvon Caribbean Writers Prize. The announcement was made on Saturday 27 April, during the 2013 NGC Bocas Lit Fest.
In April 2013, the judging panel for the inaugural Hollick Arvon Prize announced a shortlist of six:
Lisa Allen-Agostini (Trinidad and Tobago)
Angela Barry (Bermuda)
Vashti Bowlah (Trinidad and Tobago)
Barbara Jenkins (Trinidad and Tobago)
Sharon Millar (Trinidad and Tobago)
Lelawatee Manoo-Rahming (Bahamas/Trinidad and Tobago)
A further eight writers were included on the longlist, announced in March:
Katherine Atkinson (St. Lucia)
Brenda Lee Brown (Antigua and Barbuda)
Lenworth Burke (Jamaica)
Ilsa Lopez-Valles (Puerto Rico)
Ira Mathur (Trinidad and Tobago)
Amanda Choo Quan (Trinidad and Tobago/Jamaica)
Ann Second (Trinidad and Tobago)
Hazel Simmonds-McDonald (St. Lucia)
In partnership with
Copyright © 2013 - Bocas Lit Fest - All rights reserved.
We appreciate any and all feedback about our site; praise, ideas, bug reports you name it!