In collaboration with NALIS and the Ministry of Community Development, Culture and the Arts, we work with communities of readers outside of the Port of Spain axis to develop the culture of reading for pleasure and self-development. There are currently 5 NGC Bocas Lit Fest adult book clubs around Trinidad – in Arima, Sangre Grande, Princes Town, Mayaro and Pt. Fortin – and 2 in Tobago – in Charlotteville and Scarborough.
The book clubs set out to:
- build on existing networks to engage readers and expand the reading public so that more people may benefit personally from the experience of literature
- help improve civic society by exposing more people to the ideas and knowledge that exist in local, regional and international literatures and bring readers into contact with writers
- support writers by helping to showcase their work and expand their readership
- help develop putative writers to play their part in maintaining a rich and diverse national culture in which different modes of self-expression thrive; and
- promote our literary heritage and broaden the definition of culture.
For more information on our adult book clubs, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.