It’s the 10th year of the NGC Children’s Bocas Lit Fest Storytelling Caravan, with a twist! Dragonzilla, along with some amazing friends, has made magic happen to ensure that even though we can’t visit schools or communities across Trinidad and Tobago, we can still reach our young audience and encourage their creativity and love of writing. Together with our partner, NALIS, we’ve launched this writing competition for kids aged 5-8 and 9-12.
This initiative provides an opportunity for children across Trinidad and Tobago to create original tales so they discover the joy of writing and gain confidence in their literary skills, especially while they remain apart from their schoolmates and friends. And what an honour it is to feature the charming four-year-old Coryn Clarke, author of The Chronicles of Coryn: 7 Days of Fun, as the face of the challenge!
Over 100 children aged 5-12 shared their 300-400 word story on the theme “My COVID experience in Trinidad and Tobago”!
Everyone is invited to vote for their favourite videos when they are uploaded to the Bocas and NALIS Facebook pages. All likes and shares will be tallied as votes for a People‘s Choice winner in each age group. Votes for the People’s Choice award will be counted at midnight on Friday 4 December.
Twenty-two youngsters have moved on to the second phase of Dragonzilla’s Short Story Competition! The finalists in each age category will submit videos of themselves reading their stories by Monday 16 November.
Star storyteller and retired librarian Joan Osbourne will be among a panel of NALIS children’s librarians tasked with selecting the winning stories in each age group.
Anasuriya Seeram Maharaj
Nenriki Lai Leung
Sriya Persad Maharaj
Short Story Challenge Guidelines
- Participation in this challenge is FREE.
- The theme of the challenge is “My COVID experience in Trinidad and Tobago”. Your story must have an original title.
- The deadline for the story submission is 19 October 2020.
- The challenge will be in two categories: 5-8 years old and 9-12 years old
- The required length of the story is 300-400 words. Stories that do not fall within this range will not qualify.
- The story should be the original, unpublished (electronically or otherwise) contribution of the child who is participating in the competition.
- Parents/guardians must complete the registration form below and upload their children’s story.
- Stories should be typed in Microsoft Word, and use Times New Roman or Arial 12 pt font. You may use italics or bold for effect, but do not use them frequently.
- Acceptable file formats include: doc, docx, and pdf.
- A compilation of stories will be posted to the Bocas Lit Fest and NALIS Facebook pages.
- A panel of acclaimed storytellers and authors will choose the top ten stories in each category, these entrants will move on to phase two of the challenge.
- Top stories will be chosen based on originality and creativity. All participants will be notified once the top stories are chosen.
- The top twenty entries will then be required to submit a video of the author reading their story. Creativity is strongly encouraged while filming your video.
- The story read on video must not differ in any way from the original story submitted in phase one of the challenge.
- The videos must be between 3-4 minutes long.
- Files are to be saved with your story’s title.
- Format for videos must be submitted in HD 720 or higher, and in mp4 format. The size must be under 5GBs.
- The deadline for video submission is 16th November 2020.
- Our panel of acclaimed storytellers and authors will then select winning stories in each category.
- Additionally, videos will be uploaded to NALIS’ Facebook pages and likes and shares will be tallied as votes for a people‘s choice winner in each age group. Votes for the People’s Choice award will be counted at midnight 4 December and votes after that time will not be accepted.
- Prizes include laptops, tablets, and more!!
- Winning videos will be announced on 11 December 2020.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.
Terms & Conditions
- The challenge is open to children residing in Trinidad and Tobago only.
- All submissions must be made by the parent/guardian to the Bocas Lit Fest website link listed above.
- By submitting an entry to this challenge, you hereby fully transfer and assign all rights, including copyrights to the submitted story and video, and/or related material to the Bocas Lit Fest in perpetuity. All stories and videos entered will become the property of the Bocas Lit Fest. The submitted story and video must not be published (electronically or otherwise) in any other revision or adaptation without the permission of the Bocas Lit Fest.
- Drawings, photos, or any other graphics are not allowed.
- Only ONE entry is accepted per person.
- Children must enter their story according to their age group.
- Proof of age must be submitted to the Bocas Lit Fest on request for the winners to be recognised and the prizes to be honoured.
- Entries will only be accepted from the Bocas Lit Fest website. Email us at email@example.com if you experience issues with your submission.
- While it is encouraged that parents assist their children in the entering the competition, we expect parents to allow children to express themselves and write their own stories.
- The authors of the ten winning videos and stories must provide a signed photo/video release and consent form by the parent on the request of the Bocas Lit Fest.
- Any story that is fully or partially copied from any other source will not be accepted. Each entry will be subjected to a complete plagiarism check.