Open for entries from 1 May to 30 July 2021
The Bocas Children’s Book Prize is a new prize to be awarded annually to one English-language chapter book for children written by a Caribbean author. The prize is administered by the Bocas Lit Fest, and supported by the Unit Trust Corporation. It will reward the most outstanding contribution to Caribbean literature for young independent readers, aged 7 to 12. The Prize is open for entries from 1 May to 30 July 2021. The winner will be announced in November 2021, and will receive a US$1,000 cash prize.
The prize is judged by an independent panel of children’s literature experts. The panel will be joined by a young reader who will contribute to selecting the winner.
- Joan Osborne, Librarian and Storyteller (Trinidad & Tobago)
Eligibility & Entry Guidelines:
Works of fiction (including short story collections and books in verse), literary non-fiction and graphic novels written for children are eligible. Works of drama, multiple-author anthologies, illustrated picture books, activity books, textbooks or instructional manuals are not eligible.
To be eligible for entry for the 2021 Prize, a book must:
- Be a new, original work written for children between the ages 7 and 12 published for the first time in book form between 1 January 2020 and 30 July 2021. Self-published books are eligible, and there is no requirement for the publisher or author to be based in the Caribbean;
- Have been written by a single author who either holds Caribbean citizenship or was born in the Caribbean (this must be verified by the publisher), regardless of current place of residence;
- Have been written by an author who is living on 30 July 2021;
- Have been written and first published in English originally (i.e. translations are not eligible);
- Have an ISBN and be available for purchase in print (not e-book edition only);
- Have a minimum length of approximately 6,000 words divided into chapters, and may contain illustrations;
- Tell the story primarily through prose rather than pictures.
How to Enter
- Complete the online entry form and upload the final book file as a PDF that retains all book formatting. The book cover file can be submitted as a separate PDF.
- Books may be entered by their publishers OR authors. The contact person identified on the entry form should be the person responsible for supplying copies of the book, should print copies be called in for judging or publicity.
- Authors and/or publishers of shortlisted titles must agree to provide three physical copies of the book to the Bocas Lit Fest.
- Each entry should be accompanied by a short biographical note on the author and a current headshot for publicity purposes.
- Books will be accepted for entry at the discretion of the chairs of the judging panels, who will determine questions of eligibility when necessary. Judges’ decisions on eligibility are final. Non-eligible books and their entry fees will not be returned.
- There is a US$15 entry fee that must accompany each submission. This small fee is essential to supporting the proper administration of the prize.
There is an entry fee of US$15/TT$100 per title. The entry fee can be paid by:
- Credit card payments via the online WiPay platform
- US dollar bank drafts in amount of US $15 (routed through a US-based bank) made payable to The Bocas Lit Fest and mailed via reliable courier service.
- Trinidad and Tobago online bank transfers in the amount of TT$100.00.
Please select your preferred payment method when submitting the online entry, and an invoice with details will be issued for payment. Payment must be received by the submissions deadline in order for the book to be eligible.
The winner will be announced in November 2021.
The publisher or author must submit the online form by 5:00PM on 30 July 2021.